May 6, 2010

Tasalagi Tale (9/9 end)

"Yes those were bad times, the worst... and not only for our people. A few of our people (999 people so the legend has it) had managed to hide yet again in the bosom of the earth. They took to the earth in these mountains sharing food with the bears, the birds, and the deer. Some also hid with friendly whites, my great grandmother was amongst those. Eventually legal loopholes were found so that they could stay and eventually they formed the Qualla reservation. Those people were the great great grandparent's of most of the people on our reservation nowadays. That's how they got the opportunity live through one civil war and two world wars. We had little cause to meddle in the white man's wars but we were forced to take a side in the civil war, and we chose to get involved in the world wars. As is our way, we distinguished ourselves greatly in any battle we fought and many of our brothers returned from wars greatly honored."

Not adding another word as was his wont, he concluded by blowing a smoke ring that vanished in the night breezes. He then extinguished his pipe and proceeded to roll up in his sleeping bag and fell fast asleep. Billy and I on the other hand had a hard time doing so that night. This had been a hard history lesson, but one that would serve us well.

The fire had died down to embers and dawn was just a few hours away when the two kids finally fell asleep.

render@4dgraphics.us

10 comments:

  1. References:
    "The Cherokees" Russell Thornton 1990 University of Nebraska press
    "Bury my heart at Wounded Knee" Dee Brown1979 Picador
    "The Cherokees past and present" J.Ed.Harpe 1985 Cherokee publications
    "The Indians in Oklahoma" Rennard Strickland 1980 university of Oklahoma press
    Childhood memories

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely enjoyed this story. I really liked how it unfolded each day. Plus, I got to learn stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Alesa, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this. I waited until you had put up all nine so I could read it while having my lunch today. Actually I can't even remember eating my lunch hehe. The white man has a lot to answer for, in places all over the world. I loved your description of the Indian coffee.

    ps I had to get out my dictionary for your comment re writing course. Gambatte isn't even in there!!! I get to write stories but each assignment covers something different, so yes it's that 'treatise' word :o) The assignment this month is about editing.

    Take care XX

    ReplyDelete
  4. oops google is my friend!!!! Gambatte

    Dōmo arigatō :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is so interesting to see very similar legends in so many cultures.
    I am looking forward to the conclusion.;)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. This has been an insightful journey. The photo is beautiful and punctuates the text perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely, enlightening story, and really well paced! Well done on capturing the voice so well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A great way to share this history. A lot of people have trouble with the image of the Noble Savage, but we need to consider things more from Native American's point of view. I noted that Wilma Mankiller died recently. I have her book about being the Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation. Quite an amazing woman.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was struck by the reference to 999. In blood banking this is a code for permanently deferred...people who can never return.

    Thanks for the engaging story!

    ~ Annie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, what an amazing turnout! Thanks for reading everyone! And it seems that everyone enjoyed themselves too, which delights me tremendously.

    @Plain Jane: I'm glad you liked the serial format... as I've said, I really wasn't sure about whether or not I should have just lumped it, or if serializing was best. I decided that for blogging serializing would please the most folk.
    -Sorry to those who had to wait 9 days to get the whole story.

    @Niki: Hello Niki. Well, I'd say the human species has a lot answer for. If you look at the track record of any group that is rich enough and/or big enough, then you'll almost invariably find some shady doings.
    Hmm.. That's interesting. Taking a theoretical approach to children's writing... Makes sense. The few people I know personally who write in that genre tend to write organically (writing by ear, you could say), I bet they would write more if they went about it methodically, but I don't think they would want to... Hmm...
    Google is your friend. Sorry, it's such a good word I expect everyone to know it, but in the end only anime fans and Japanese people know it. : þ

    @Zuzana: I think you might be commenting on another post. : j But thanks for being such a regular reader!

    @Theresa: Thanks, yeah illustrations are fun. My archives are full of words that are gathering dust... It's a blast to let some of the sleeping stuff come out and play amongst the new stories I put up here, a double blast to dress them up with pretty pictures.

    @Sangu: Capturing voices! You just gave me an idea for the next story. Heheh. Thanks.

    @Kass: Yeah, it's true. But things are lot better than they were just 20 years ago though... I hadn't noticed Wilma Mankiller had died! It didn't make international news...

    @Annie: Thanks for that bit of information... It adds to the story. I love how stories grow in the telling that way. Thank you for reading.

    ReplyDelete