July 30, 2010

Okurokami - part 6

“And that was the end of the vision…” Takeko said, her voice sounding a bit hoarse.

“You’re getting tired… Would you like to get some sleep?” Teruro asked.

“Not yet, I have too much on my mind to fall asleep however much I’d like to… So what do think about my visions?” She replied.

“Hmm… they will require some thought. As it happens, I know something about Akaimaru’s death. So there is at least some truth to your vision… I’ll need think about it further.”

There was moment of quiet as this oddly matched pair waded through their thoughts, eventually Takeko asked, “So, are you going to tell me who you are and what you’re doing here? Are am I going to have to wait ‘til I stumble upon it in one of my visions”

Teruro smirked and replied, “Well, I’ll tell you why I’m here…” And so he launched into the events that brought him to Takeko’s home.

~≡~≡~
Teruro Magunojo’s tea-house (for more description see this post) was surprisingly modest for a samurai of such high standing, but that's the least of the atypical things about this famous sword fighter. In his younger days he had wandered as a ronin (samurai who has sworn no allegiance to a master, or who has been disgraced and rejected by his master) obsessively challenging and mercilessly defeating any strong fighters he could find and in so doing earning the reputation of being a formidable swordsman… Later, he was recruited by Yagyu Mitsuyoshi, and he fought semi covertly, working behind the scenes, dealing with exceptional troubles that could threaten the Tokugawa government. But those days were well behind him, and though just middle aged, he had retired from the troubles of the world to his quiet tea-house.

Teruro sat on the back porch. His emerald green tea, in an artfully carefully sculpted yet deceivingly simple earthenware cup, steamed slightly beside him. He gazed at his modest vegetable garden and beyond it at the stalks of a small patch of bamboo swaying gently in the breeze.

He toyed idly with his thoughts, “Hmm… Bamboo is strong and enduring, it keeps its color all year round; it is graceful, as its elongated and supple form shows; and yet despite these things it is humble, as its hollow nature demonstrates. Truly if men were more akin to it, wisdom would be a common virtue and then…”

His train of thought was interrupted by the arrival of a messenger; who knelt before Teruro bowing his head to the ground and waited to be addressed as protocol demanded… Teruro, repressed a sigh at the fastidiousness of protocol, pondered to himself

“Why do these messengers always remind me of horses?”
Aloud he said sternly, “Arise and state your name and business.”

“Yes, sir Magunojo. I am Matamura Umasuke. Forgive me for intruding upon your haven but Lord Yagyu sends me with a letter,” the messenger said in a somewhat nasal and rural voice.
“Give me the letter,” Teruro curtly replied.

The messenger advanced with bent knees, holding the letter to his forehead, and proffered it respectfully.
“I was told not to expect an answer milord, and thus, with your leave, may I depart?”

Teruro vaguely waved the messenger off and started reading… As he untied and unfolded the letter he immediately noticed that it was both unsealed and unsigned, it was also written in his liege’s distinctively elegant brushstrokes. Sure signs of the letter’s confidential nature. He mused that the messenger was most likely a shinobi (covert agent) in a clever disguise. He took a sip from his green tea, thinking about how easily the peace had been chased from his haven.


¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Teruro old friend,
The shogunate calls on us anon and anew. The onmyoji (historically they are cosmologists/mysticists but here read sorcerer) Taizan no Seimei lives still, and is plotting against the government.
Our intelligence finds that Taizan’s return is not due to a failure on your behalf to have fulfilled your previous mission but due to occult devices we don’t understand yet. Our sources have also found that he seeks to obtain a book through the Portuguese merchants in exchange for a sizable amount of gold that he stole from a government transport ship. The book is foreign and is called Nekuronomikonu.
We need you to finish what you started by bringing us his head. While you’re at it, destroy the book: I’m told it could supposedly give enormous evil power to any foolish enough to try and wield.
Go see the old wise-man in the Sagano bamboo forest, he can tell where you need to go to start your mission.
Once more we walk the blade’s edge…
Watch yourself,
YM.
_______________________________________________


Teruro sighed, thinking about having to go out onto the roads once again and noticed that he had drunk the contents his cup, “What a waste…” he thought to himself.

An hour before dawn… Teruro had already eaten his breakfast of raw egg, diced daïkon (pickled radish) and natto (fermented beans) mixed into a bowl of fresh white rice, accompanied with a broiled river trout, and a bowl of miso mushroom-soup. He donned his unpretentious brown haori (jacket) over his black hakama (pants) and reddish brown kimono; his clothes reflected his being, unpretentious yet made from good thick hardwearing cotton… Well-made- made to last. He fastened his straw tabi (sandals), checked his swords snuggly sitting in his obi, and finished by putting up the heavy wooden shutters over the doors. He knew that the open road and bloodshed lay ahead. And so he began his journey.

~≡~≡~
Teruro was about to go on but smiled softly as he noticed that Takeko had fallen asleep. There would be time for more the next day. He tucked into his blanket and let the crackle of the campfire lull him to sleep.

11 comments:

  1. Well, I batted back and forth with the shift, should teruro's retrospective be in first or third person, I finally settled on making it movie-style: a cutscene that covers a bit more than what the person would actually have said.
    --
    Also, I know some of you have feeling about long posts, are mine too long? Too short? Or shall I just continue going at it however I please?
    --
    Lastly, I rather wanted to just do a series of visions and leave them on their merry way but two of my trusted said they would rather have plot and have things tie together... Any opinions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the plot tying the visions together seems to work better, and also that you should make these posts as long or short as feels right to you!

    If I were Takeko and Teruro, I wouldn't be so willing to fall asleep in the middle of nowhere by themselves, considering their positions! Brave, that.

    I loved the flashback here, it was elaborate, clear and gave us so much insight into the character!

    The only thing that I'd point out is that the translations from Japanese to English - i.e. your explanations of certain words - are jarring and pull me out of the narrative. Would it be better to just use the English words? Or maybe to try using the Japanese words and leaving us to work out what they are depending on context?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was long but interesting. I love his thoughts on bamboo. So wise. And thank you for the explanations for uncommon words. I was proud I knew daikon.

    This is a complex story. Is it taking you much longer to write?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am waiting for a story to start, now that there is SOME time....hate coming in dead center or the end. And yet, more parts, more parts. Prolific story teller you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The ending has a sense of comfort and peace - a bit at odds with their surroundings. I enjoyed it, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Once again, I feel you are more intelligent than I am - your thoughts more complex and deep. I can follow your story and thinking, but it hurts my brain a little. I do see everything like it's a movie. Your posts are a little long and I forget details from one post to the next, but I think it's just me. I'm pretty stressed out right now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heya Sangu! Well, this story has become something I'm doing more for the readers than for myself. If it isn't pleasant to read, then it isn't worth it. : j Personally, I could read on a screen til the cows came in; and doubly so if I liked the story.

    Spending a night on the road isn't that big a deal. I suspect that for Teruro it was par for the course, and Takeko was too tired to care.

    Yeah, I had a similar thought about the definitions... Next time I'll make clickable internal links to a small glossary.
    -
    Heya Theresa! Ha! I'm not surprised you knew daikon, you are a foodie after all. : j
    It's not taking me much more time to write, but I'm also recycling some old scraps I had lying about, and I'm also doing tributes to scenes and characters of others stories that I liked in addition to the original stuff. : j
    -
    Roger Annie! More parts are in the works. : j
    -
    Heya Talli, why shouldn't they be peaceful? They're camping out in an beautiful unspoilt forest, their campfire is keeping them warm, they've eaten and there is no immediate threat or danger.
    -
    Heya Kass!
    Maybe this format isn't appropriate for this kind of story telling...
    Maybe it would better for you if you waited til it was over... which would prove that the format doesn't work, at least not for you.

    Sorry to hear you're a little stressed! Anything I can do? I give killer neck massages... ; j

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the story has a lot of atmosphere – by that I mean I feel like I am watching a Japanese story unfold on a screen– it is a bit harder because of the Japanese words, mais c’est plus authentique.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just how "killer" are you neck massages? Do you massage with both hands, front to back in a grasping motion?

    Taking care of my mom is taking a toll on me. I get spontaneous gusher nose bleeds about once a week. I've never had them before in my life. I think it's the stress. It's hard to watch someone die s..l..o..w..l..y...

    Thanks for your kind offer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I need to catch up on your stories, will do so shortly.;))
    As for your question, yes it is a mexican oven or chiminea that I have on my porch. It is a wonderful addition to the long summer evenings in the north.;))
    Have a great day,
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a pretty good description for the way I do shoulders... I mostly do deep tissue massages. And for stress, I'd focus on the lower back, the area between the shoulder blades, the top of the neck, and the scalp.

    But if you're getting nosebleeds on a weekly basis you should go in for a checkup. : /
    Sorry to hear you're having such a tough time.
    _
    Hello Zuzana! Thanks for the answer... I had never heard of those! If we ever/when we move out to the country we'll make ourselves one. : j

    ReplyDelete