August 6, 2010

Change blogfest

The fabulous Elizabeth Mueller is hosting the Change blogfest as a housewarming present for our one and only Sangu Mandanna.
Thanks for hosting the event Elizabeth!
Congrats on your new place Sangu!

________________________
“Small change.”

You know what? I think I’m in a rut.

I don’t dislike my job, it pays my rent and lets me live comfortably.

Most of the time, I think it’s a pretty good deal for nine-to-five behind a desk in a law firm, faffing about on a computer.

But sometimes I can feel the wheel turning. You know, the wheel of life, the wheel of time… and I think to myself, “What the hell am I doing?” But then I pick up my book and forget completely about it.

My clunker of a car broke down and would cost more to repair than it would to replace. I knew it was coming. I’m now officially 30 and I’m car-less, the way I was when I was a teen. So here I am sitting at the bus stop thinking about my life. My book is in my purse, but instead of taking it up I’m pondering the meaning of life… Without the benefit of the pythons.
-
So her thoughts ran as she sat on the wooden bench waiting for the bus. Then she noticed something next to her foot. Taking a closer look realized it was a coin the color of corroded copper. When she picked it up she was surprised to find that it was much heavier than she expected. She didn’t recognize the writing around the edges. One side was embossed with a curious geometrical pattern of concentric circles and the other with strange-looking symbols that looked uncomfortably familiar, they reminded her of… Her thoughts were interrupted by the arrival of her bus, and so she hastily pocketed the coin and grabbed her bag and her purse.
-
Later, during her lunch-break, she had as usual shunned the company of her co-workers. She liked eating her sandwich in a nearby park while reading on her favorite bench. She was about to sit down when she noticed the strange greenish-blue coin on the bench. At first she thought that the one in her pocket must have fallen out onto the bench somehow, but she pulled it out of her pocket. She picked up the second coin and compared it to the first. They were identical. She shrugged and stuck them both in her pocket. And set about reading a chapter from her book as she ate her sandwich.

Shortly afterwards she had finished her chapter and her lunch. It was time for her to go back to work. “Just one more chapter…” she thought to herself. Four chapters later she closed her book and looked pensively up at the sky and the passing clouds. The pointlessness of her job struck her like a kick to the heart. She realized that nothing much would change in the world if she just stayed in the park until she finished her book. Nobody would care if she didn’t file her afternoon’s stack of reports in the system.

She decided to flip on it. Going through her pockets for a coin and coming up with one of the weird ones she had found with a shrug and a smirk she said, “Circles I go back to work, weird symbols I stay and finish my book!” With a flick of her thumb she sent the coin spinning in the air and it rang a single clear note, like the singing of a crystal glass. At the apex of its flight something strange happened. Instead of obeying the laws of gravity, it hovered in space, spinning faster and faster, and humming a sharp crystalline note. It hung in the air thus for a few seconds, then started to glow like a bluish green candle flame, then fade from view… The ringing note lingered for a few seconds then it too faded away.

She quickly looked around to see if anyone else had seen what had happened but no-one seemed to have noticed. Baffled, she decided to go back to her desk and look up what had happened on the Internet. So she gathered up her stuff and headed back for the office…

She walked through the door into the reception area of the office. Gillian was at her post behind the front desk.

“Hello Ms. M. How are you today?” the receptionist said with a polite smile.

“Um… Gill, I saw you just this morning when I came in? And what’s with Miss?”

“I’m sure I don’t know what you mean Ms. M. Did you come in this morning? Anyways, can I just say I’m very much looking forward to your next novel! Are you coming in to deliver the manuscript?”

She was completely confused but her gut reflexes took over and she said, “Thanks, I’m glad you like my work. I’m still working on editing my latest novel… I just remembered I needed to be somewhere… Bye Gillian, nice chatting with you.”

“Huh? Alright, Ms. M. Good luck with your manuscript!”

She walked through the doors and onto the street. Utterly baffled by what was going on, she turned around to check that she had entered the right building and noticed that while the building was the same, the sign was different, it said “Oryxkin House Publishing” instead of “Ramkin & Usulügner, Attorneys at Law”!

She took the bus home in a daze. At her door she fished in her pocket for the key and pulled out the other mysterious coin. Once inside she found that her apartment, while still her apartment, had been remodeled and redecorated. A quick trip to her bookshelf turned up three hardcover books with her name on them. The manuscripts she had written in college but had never queried… She set the books in the middle of the dining-room table and set the mysterious coin on top of them. She sat there a while, staring at them, and grinned.

“I wonder if I have a car now.”

19 comments:

  1. BTW, Okurokami resumes next Monday at the latest.
    Cheers and thanks for reading. : j

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Alesa!

    This was a fabulous entry! It was quirky, and had such a distinctive voice, and I loved how it unfolded! Is there more to it (pretty please?) or does it end here?

    Technical question: does "faffing" really have a 'p' at the start? I always thought it just started with an 'f'!

    Looking forward to seeing more of Okurokami next week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha... That's all I wrote and I suspect I'm pretty much done with the idea. : j I really just wanted to play with they loose change idea. ; j

    I like leaving it up to you what happens next... Does she flip the next coin or not? Does something good come from it- or something bad? What happened? How did it happen? What are those coins?

    Of course I have my ideas... : j
    -
    Hmm... Looking it up I only found a couple instances where it used with a "P" (listed in wiktionarry : / as an alternate spelling for faffing), clearly the most common and standard spelling is faffing. Thanks! It's not a word I grew up using. : j

    ReplyDelete
  4. The world at large hands me paper words and you get money!!! What's with that???? Don't you just wish Alesa....don't you just wish. This departure from reality made me smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the loose change idea. I also like the fact that you left the rest up to the readers imagination. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The last line made me laugh out loud!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alesa! I want a coin like that, too!! PLeeeeze????
    I love this story. I can't wait to learn what happens to her as the story goes one. :)

    Thank you for participating! Have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes! Where's my mysterious coin? You know, at the beginning of this, I thought you were reading my mind ;) I love how you made it fun and suspenseful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gah, I love your voice, Alesa. Your POV is, as always, unique. AND I get to see that POV in action in October!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. How fun! Love your imagination and how you give yourself exactly what you deserve.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cool! Can I have one of those coins, please? ; )

    ReplyDelete
  12. Me too! I want one too! Awesome job. You have quite an imagination.

    Please stop by and check out my 100 Followers Contest. I'm announcing a new blogfest tomorrow, too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hahah Annie! While you find actual words in world I make believe magic coins... That puts you ahead. ;j
    That said, I don't wish for them to be true.
    I wouldn't trust it, and besides it wouldn't fee like my life. Would you really want for your life to change inexplicably?
    -
    Kuairi Renae, and welcome! Yeah, the loose change idea was the first thing that came to mind when I saw the theme of the fest and I just knew that I'd have to write something for it. : j Glad you enjoyed it!
    -
    Nihaome Eryl. Glad the punchline worked for you. I hope you're recovering well?
    -
    Osu Elizabeth! i suspect those coins can only be found... Unless they're one them mettyfur thingies. In which case they can only be forged for one's self. ; j
    Joking set aside, I consider this piece done so you'll have to put your vivid imagination to work if you want to see what happens next. : j
    Thanks for hosting this fest, it was a fun theme!
    -
    Kia ora Angela! Welcome to questing for food! I think a lot of people can relating with getting by in life with jobs they aren't passionate about, but on the bright side it means that they have something wonderful to strive for. I guess it's a state of affairs that can happen fairly easily to people who balance pragmatic realism with hope.
    -
    Howdy Zoe! Uh oh! Now I'm worrying you'll take me to karaoke bar when I see you in October. Let me tell you straight off my voice is nothing to write home about! ; j
    -
    Djin dobry, Kass! This piece isn't about me if that's what you mean. : j I'm glad that you're still enjoying my tall tales in spite of everything.
    -
    Goeie dag, Tessa! I suspect you make your own change. ; j But watch out for the feds if you do, I hear it's a felony.
    -
    Salut Christine! Thanks for stopping by! You're doing quite a thorough job promoting your contest. : j

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love using the coins as a center of the piece! cool!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bon giurno, Lydia! Glad you liked it... I think maybe I should have come up with a name for those coins, just so that I could say that I coined it. ; j

    ReplyDelete
  16. Really enjoyed this! Loved the quirk and the coin toss.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great, funny story. Haven't we all felt the wheel turning from time to time?

    I liked how she went to the internet to look up the strange occurrence. That's just what I would have done.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I need those coins!

    I love your dual take on "change" blogfeat. You had a nice twist, as usual. Since I love fantasy and the supernatural, your posts always intrigue me.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aloha Marsha! Thanks for the kind words, glad you enjoyed it!
    -
    Hajimemashte Franklin!
    Nice to meet you.
    I reckon that's just a sign of the times: google on quickdraw. ; j
    -
    Tzohora'im tovim, Theresa! From what I've read, you're already forging your own coins. ; j

    I'm glad you are still entertained by stories after having read so many of them!

    ReplyDelete