August 31, 2010

Okurokami - part 10

The waning moon’s light made it seem more as if the shadow of a sail ship squatted in the middle of the cove than an actual ship.

“What are we doing here?” Takeko wondered out loud.
“Well, as I recall, your visions didn’t exactly give me concrete directions on what to do next. It’s a good thing the shinobi network told me where to find the Portuguese ship.”
“Shinobi network?”
“A network of spies the government has planted throughout the country.”
“Oh, is that why at least 5 strange animals came right up to you while we were walking.”
“Hmm? Oh yes, they are trained to deliver messages so that I don’t have to meet the shinobi. They’re very secretive…”

They stood in front of one of the handful of ramshackle driftwood huts built on the shore.

“It’s too quiet… These huts are empty, and you’d think everyone was out fishing except…”
“Except that their boats are still pulled up on the beach.” Teruro finished.
“And something is wrong… with this village and with that boat…”
Teruro looked at Takeko briefly and said, “I think that the villagers were all shot and buried nearby.”
Takeko looked thoughtful for a moment and shrugged. “We should see if they have any food we could take.”
“We’ll see about that after we find out if the Portuguese still have the book, or if they don’t, who they sold it to. So help me get this boat into the water.”

Teruro sculled the single oared fishing boat out to the anchored Portuguese ship that loomed besides them. Its sails were furled and it was completely still and quiet in the water.

“Hmph. For it to be this quiet either that ship is deserted, the crew is dead, or they are waiting in ambush.” Teruro said. He smirked and whispered to himself “Lets go see which one.” He quickly made his way up the rope ladder and disappeared onto the ship.

Takeko strung her bow and shouldered her quiver. “I wonder if the Portuguese eat umeboshi?” She shrugged and followed Teruro up the ladder.

The deck was dark and deserted. And after a few minutes of poking around, they came to the conclusion that no one was on board.

“I’m going to search the captain’s cabin to see if I can’t find something useful. Stay here.” With that Teruro walked down the deck.

“And while you’re doing that I’m going to see what I can find in the ship’s galley” Takeko said to herself, moving in the opposite direction.

 
Portuguese ship (detail), attributed to Kano Naizen (1570-1616)

12 comments:

  1. I'm so behind!! I have to get all caught up - I love your stories! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, hey Heidi! Thanks for the encouragement!
    Nice to know you're still reading. : j

    By the way, did you notice the like at the top of my blog? Questing for food now comes with a soundtrack! ; j

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray, a new installment in the story! Welcome back, Alesa!

    This was great, I love how you've woven layers upon layers into this. The spy network was unexpected but thrilling, I'm looking forward to learning more about these people and their situation!

    Also, anyone else think Takeko wandering off by herself is only going to end in trouble? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woohoo.. A third page view. I love that I can not only count but name each pageview. : j

    Takeko? In trouble? I think she is part cat. Part bald, and part cat.

    Though as recent news has shown cats can get into trouble. ; j

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Hmph". I always wondered how to spell that :)
    Hi Alesa.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Indeed. Cats are not immune, you know. Wheelie bins and spy networks prove quite the nemesis. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I kept checking and checking for a new post. Then it finally came, and I didn't see it until now!

    My favorite part of this one is Teruro's nonchalant guess that all the people are dead. And Takeko's with the same indifference hopes to find some food.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heya Annie! Nice to see you!
    I reckon you spell it however you want it to sound... Hrmph is pretty good too wouldn't you say?
    -
    Aye Sangu, that's exactly what I was referring to. ; j
    -
    Heya Theresa, yeah that's clearly my fault. If I were putting parts out regularly, you wouldn't be having that problem. I'm coming to a point where I'm questioning my misuse of the blogging medium (I'm probably setting myself up for a fall), and so my enthusiasm is not as bright as it was.
    Anyways, even if anything were to happen I'll finish this story first.
    The next part is already written.

    I like how your favorite part is another facet of something that surprised you when Te and Ta first met. It's pleasing to see that I'm keeping the characters true to themselves in spite of the episodic nature of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have times when I'm more excited to blog than others. You're creating stories, so I can see how the enthusiasm isn't always the same.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, creating the stories is pretty consistently fun... It's the writing that is slow and painstaking.

    I need to create a java applet to upload thoughts onto my blog. ; j

    ReplyDelete
  11. You sucked me right in with that beautiful opening sentence. You have a way with description!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Julie, nice to see you here!
    Thanks for the kind words. :}

    ReplyDelete