October 13, 2010

Okurokami - part 14

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have cast the last of my pebbles behind, fossilized memories, to help me find my way.
I want to go back because ahead of me lies only a web of weakness, poverty, and bone dry bottles converging to the point of my death. But looking back, the pebbles I have cast behind me have bloomed into flowers of ash that are being carried away with by a sad breeze.
There is nothing behind me and nothing ahead as I walk through my war torn mind.
My present is only the blade’s edge, one that I walk until I reach the point that will pierce me and end the battles.
I know where the next step on this path will lead me... ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ingen had gone pale… and he laughed nervously as Takeko carefully folded the cloth and returned it to its container.

Teruro was hovering beside him doing his best to hide his curiosity, “So you actually saw something in there?”

Looking pale and unusually thoughtful, Ingen replied, “I saw my end… I reckon it shouldn’t have surprised me, all things considered. Have you looked into that thing?”

Teruro nodded and shrugged, “Yes, I have. I see only my reflection…” 

Ingen grabbed a bottle of sake and emptied it neatly down his throat, “Hey Takeko, what the hell did I just see? Was that the future? Can it be changed?”

She shrugged in response, “You saw the truth… As far as I know no truth is absolute.”

“I would like to know is how this helps us…” Teruro asked mildy.

“Well, it has shown that Ingen can, to some extent, be trusted: he hasn’t lost his mind…”

"Gee thanks... By the way, I saw were we need to go next... It's about days walk from here. So lets get some sleep, or finish drinking… Better yet, let’s finish drinking and then get some sleep.”

Teruro looked at Takeko who merely nodded and rolled back up into her covers saying, “Don’t get too drunk Ingen. We’re setting out at first light in the morning.”

He only responded with a drunken snore as the last bottle of sake slipped from his fingers.
Teruro sighed and started cleaning his sword by the fire’s light.

15 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm liking Ingen! Happy to read more. Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Talli!
    Ha, Ingen does have his charms... In boozy kind of way, I suppose.
    He'll never turn down sharing a glass of wine with you. Or a bottle even... Or a barrel? ; j

    Thanks, and welcome back yourself! :D
    I'm actually on my way out: I'm wrapping up Okurokami this evening and scarpering off on holiday for a fortnight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so strange, having just finished a piece about walking and to find this here...walking through war, walking until a point is reached. It was kind of serendipitous for I felt less alone on the path :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heya Annie! Nice to see you!
    It's like the unions are always saying: walkers of the world unite. : j

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that was some cloth! And so much for not getting too drunk. Too late for that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, scarpering off on holiday! You seem to be all over the world! So envious. Well, actually I'm off to Bangalore in less than two weeks, so I guess I can't be totally envious :-)

    I liked the way this piece ended, it had a feel of something more yet it was satisfying in a strange way. There's a bit more to come, isn't there?

    ReplyDelete
  7. How does Ingen die? Does this mean you're continuing with the series when you come back? I hope it doesn't end like this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Finally I have managed to steal the time I needed to fully catch up on this story without rushing. Very entertaining, and I, too, am rather taken with Ingen, and, fascinated by Takeko's appetite!

    Enjoy your holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Alesa :o)
    re sheep poo, yes it does flick up somehow. haha it must stick to my heel of my boot and then land in the other one as Im walking along. Maybe its the way I walk!!
    re beetle pic, oops I didnt put a credit. Not my work, though its a NZ beetle. Very cute! :o)
    Is your story finished yet? I still waiting to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heya Lydia! Aye, there be magic in that there cloth... I suspect that in ingen's book, you can never get too drunk. ; j
    -
    Salut Sangu! Yep, I've left and have returned. It was a good trip. Lots of road tripping was involved. Occasionally good eating also took place.
    Bangalore, nice! I've never been to India... Someday. There are so many places in the world to go to.
    Yeah there's a bit more to come. I'm bad at endings but not that bad. I didn't pull off ending it as quickly as I wanted.
    -
    Ahoy Theresa! He dies alone, penniless, and weak... But the most terrible thing is that... [drum roll] he dies sober! {gasp}
    Yep there is more to come I wrote most the next part while I was on holiday, using my trusty old pda. : p
    I guess it's next on my to do list after catching up with everyone's blogs. I was in mid comment yesterday when my main puter died. : /
    -
    G'day Eryl! Glad you were entertained! Everyone seems to be taken with Ingen... I blame Terrence Hill's charisma. Thanks, I did enjoy it. It was fun, and overall rather restful. : j
    -
    Kia ora Niki! Huh... Now I'm going to be careful how I walk the next time I go muck out stalls. : j Nope not finished yet, the last part will have something in the title indicating that it is over. Thanks for dropping by! Nice to hear from you. : j

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha! Ingen got way too drunk to even hear Takeko's warning about not getting drunk :D I love your descriptions as always.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi:) I just wanted to drop by and say thanks for the link to the murder pamphlets. Very interesting and inspiring!

    Btw, "Ingen" is also a Norwegian word that means "no one"!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Heya Julie, I think that in Ingen's book he is never too drunk. And in his defense his fighting skill doesn't seem to be related to his drunkenness... Maybe he's a robot?
    -
    Aloha Alexandra, you're very welcome.
    I know it is! That's why I choose Ingen as a name... Ingen's entrance into the story was a tribute to Terrence Hill playing Nobody in "My name is nobody".

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Alesa, just popping in to see how you are :o) Hope all is good and well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Heya Niki, this is blog is on hold... I can't put up anything else until I finish this story... But, I'm having a hard time mustering enthusiasm for it... In the meantime I'm sporadically posting on my other blog. Blogging aside, Things are going great, my puter died and now I have fancy new one! Party party! Thanks for dropping by and staying in touch!

    ReplyDelete