April 18, 2010

Alice's adventures in cyberpunk

   Alice was beginning to get very bored of sitting by her sister in the park: over an hour ago, her sister had used the park’s hotspot to log on via her iNexion, and had since been wearing the vaguely absent look of all people experiencing full immersion VR netdiving. For want of anything better to do, Alice had tried to follow what her sister was doing on the iNexion’s screen, but for one thing, the device’s screen kept shutting down into power-saving mode every two minutes, and for another, ‘what is the point of watching full immersion VR netdiving’ thought Alice ‘without 3D or virtual tactile-feedback?’

   So instead she happily day-dreamed (as well as she could, for the effects her ‘joy’ stimpatch were wearing off) about the day she’d be old enough to get contactless connectors wetwired to her brain allowing her to full-dive as well. She had just started to imagine what it would be like to troll her sister’s V-space and to trojan self-replicating daisy chains into it when suddenly a White Penguin with a purple mohawk and pink mirror-shades ran close by her.

That in itself wasn’t so VERY surprising; nor did Alice think it so VERY unlikely to hear the Penguin say ‘LOL, I’m like totally late!’ as it almost tripped over its own feet. When she thought it over afterward, it occurred to her that she should have checked to see if the augmented reality function of her contact lenses was on, but at the time it all seemed quite natural; but when the Penguin actually took a MIL-SPEC TERA-CORED ICE-BREAKER DECK OUT OF ITS WAISTCOAT-POCKET, and looked at it, and then hurried on; Alice started to her feet, for it flashed across her mind that she had never before seen such outrageously awesome and expensive tech in the hands of such a short user, or any user for that matter, and burning with curiosity, she ran after it across the Astroturf, and fortunately was just in time to see it make its way to a panel of old-fashioned lasernet sockets hidden in the base of a solar tree by a shrubbery. The penguin pulled a connector cable from the side of its head, hard-jacked into the panel, and vanished.

   Alice didn’t give a second thought to using her emergency-only mindlink cable and smiled in delight to discover that it’s jack was retro-compatible with lasernet sockets. In another moment she jacked in, never once considering what in the world might happen.








Original picture by:
Jonathan Igharas

10 comments:

  1. Roll over Lewis Carroll, Alesa has arrived.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heheh, in his grave more likely.
    Sorry Mr. Dodgson. ; j

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is hilarious. I would love to see it illustrated. What a mind!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Video games in a futuristic world. At least I think that's what they were doing...

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Kass: Glad you like it. Me too, I'll check if John Tenniel is available and willing to work for baked goods.

    @Wine and words: What Annie? You don't grok tech talk from the year 2459? I reckon that's fair enough. : j

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always had a soft spot for futuristic science fiction (?)Engaging read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Aubrie: Hmm.. Video games? I don't think so, but in this short piece I don't really say. I suspect that I wouldn't explain even if I did continue this piece.
    Alice's adventures in wonderland weren't completely explained either. But I can give you some insider info, Alice's sister wasn't gaming, she was logging into a permanent VR world that is used to interface with the net via conceptual representations. She was using that to egolog, a future equivalent of blogging.

    @Paul C: Why the question mark? Not sure whether to call this a travesty (it is) or scifi (it is, (I hope))? ; j Thanks for the kind word.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now that's a new Alice in Wonderland. You should expand on this. They already made the film and a TV movie this year. I'm sure there's room for one more. Besides, people love Penguins.

    ReplyDelete
  9. TV movie? I hadn't heard about that... I didn't go see the Tim Burton one either. Most of the visual interpretations tend to disappoint me... Unless they don't even try to stick to the original story, in which case, why bother pretending to have anything to do with Alice then? Have you seen the 1988 live action version by Jan Svankmajer? I find it hard to say whether I liked it or not, impossible to predict whether for me to predict if anyone else would, but it was at least still Alice while being both interesting and original. : j
    -
    You know, while it would be fun to write, I think the world has enough derivative Alice stuff.
    I just did this for fun, I love Cyberpunk and I love Alice's adventures.

    ReplyDelete