April 17, 2010

Eggcentric adherence to a saying...

So I'm at the farmers market and I've just bought two dozen eggs to make macaroons and iles flottantes.

Hold on a second!
How did the expression go?
Oh right, "Don't put all your eggs in one basket."

Eeep! Ok, I can do this!
Lets see, I can fit two eggs in my dress's front pocket, and another four in the side pockets...

Why is the egg lady scowling at me? It's only been four minutes...

I can fit six in my purse- drat!
I dropped one.

Judging from the way the egg lady is looking at me, I'm guessing she won't give me anther egg. Oh well.

So that's six in my purse...
I'll put six in my basket...
I'll carry three in my free hand...
And I guess I'll just have to put the last two under my hat.

Ok, ok, scowly egg lady! I'm going, I'm going already! It's not as if people were queuing up behind me- oh wait they are! Sorry people.

Alright time to get going...
I feel like I'm carrying nitroglycerin.
I must be walking funny because everyone is staring at me.
Good grief, what happens if I sneeze!
Oh! Hello cat, aren't you a handsome- no don't rub against my...
Whoa...
Whoa...
Aaaah!
SPLAT.




Picture by Rouge11 at deviant art.

12 comments:

  1. I have a little yellow plastic suitcase with cavities for eggs - often so stylish but it doesn't go with every outfit

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you're saying don't put all your egg in same basket, put them all in the same egg-suitcase... and if you're lucky, it'll match your outfit?

    You could dress in amalfi lemon rinds! A perfect match!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! I save my empty egg cartons so I can fill them with eggs because my sister in law has a farm. Very funny story! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heheh... Glad you liked it.
    Truth be told, I do put all my eggs in the same basket. Not everyone can be connected.
    I'll bet that your sister in law's farm eggs are yellower and tastier than the store bought variety, is that so?
    Random fact, if you can get them, goose eggs are great for baking. They taste mostly like regular eggs except maybe a little richer... Which adds a bit of oomph to anything you make with them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I get my eggs from a farm also, and yes the yolks are the most vibrant yellow orange and they taste different because they are so fresh...still covered in chicken sh*t even, but well worth the washing.

    This was fun, counting your eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is hilarious. I am reminded of the story of a boy on a horse coming back from the country store with provisions including several dozen eggs. Then he meets an unexpected surprise...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do find that picture quite beautiful and your post quite delightful. What is iles flottantes? I'm too lazy to google it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @wine and words: Heya Annie, yeah farm eggs are simply better. Glad you liked the scrambled eggs.

    @PaulC: Hello and welcome. Your story reminds of a creation myth about butter. A boy in Normandy rode a full day at full gallop to get his mother's cream to a contest in Brittany... Only by the time he got to the contest the cream had been shook so much that what he delivered was butter. But when the judges tasted the butter they were so overwhelmed by this new product that they gave it the blue ribbon... Utterly false and ridiculous of course, but a fun story...

    @kass: Iles flottantes, are after googling to find the english term, Floating Islands. Soft meringue floating on a liquid vanilla custard. Though describing like that makes it sound terribly unappealing. It can be a delicate and delicious dessert though it is easy to bomb.
    Yeah it's a pretty nice picture, there's some talented folk at deviant art.
    Thanks for the nice words.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I once left my entire basket of eggs in the trunk of my car for over a month. Ruined the eggs, ruined the car. At least it gave me a good excuse to finally get rid of the car. (I hated that car. Maybe I left the eggs there on purpose so the smell would match my feelings for it?)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome Plain Jane! Is basket of eggs a metaphor for the "corpus delicti" in your story? My momma always told me, if you have a body in your trunk, make it disappear quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tell that scowl lady to give you a nice egg container next time! What a funny picture I got in my head from this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. They don't give containers at the farmers market, besides it where would the comedy value in that be? ; j

    I went to the market and bought two dozen eggs. The egg-lady packed them neatly in egg boxes. The end. : p

    I wish I could remember whose post triggered this piece, it was originally meant to be a comment.

    ReplyDelete