April 5, 2010

Merry S-mas From Texas

Congregate mass of crass being
So sluggishly fleeing, we see our hair grow
The red dust of dead end roads we follow
Gather in deserted cemetery bone-yard souls
Our collected graves that are emotional bullet holes
Shot and shot down by ritual love or silly self suicide
Leaving what?
The serious selves, empty shells and pride?
Nothing much anyhow, a mere cramp in the now
Like ants crawling over bodies asleep made of sand
And the breeze carries tangled tumbleweed untruths
It bears barren bodies too, too tired to walk through
The hypothetical desert to the so called promised land
An unlikely promise or a probable lie
The usual governmental give and take
To forge hope, for it fuels the blind,
Wind up clockwork voters, suburban mechanoid maniacs
And paranoid paradoxes pretending to be people
Worship weapons, unaware as they unwillingly await their death
That though theirs guns dig deep, they leave only shallow graves.
2002

8 comments:

  1. I feel a desperate need to give the persona of this poem a hug, but I fear she (or he) would growl at me if I did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you may be right about the growling. But no worries, I have her/him/it sated with vatruska (a kind of russian cheesecake cf: http://jasminecuisine.blogspot.com/2008/06/vatrouchka-tarte-russe-au-fromage-au.html).
    I'd offer you a slice, but alas, there is a screen in the way. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you write this in 2002 or take the picture? Have you changed your mind at all?

    It's a strong, good poem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The picture I cannot claim credit for, I found it in an open source image library.

    I did, however, write this piece in 2002...

    Surely my mind has changed in eight years, but there is nothing there that I would retract or unwrite (were unwrite a word).
    In some ways a poem is a like a picture, a direct representation of its model in its youth, but over time it develops a persona (ie meaning) of its own. A picture of a flower, becomes a picture of past flower, a representation of a conceptual flower once the flower has wilted and has been composted.
    I suppose over all I'm just a horrible drama queen and a misanthrope (both nifty tools for writing verse), which is why I love to cook... Delicious pun filled choux à la crème, with just a soupçon of venom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Irrashaimase! Welcome to the mental scrap blog.
    I'd rather be a cramp in the now, than a tramp in the know, or a stamp on a cow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Strong piece. Now I'm curious what happened in 2002.

    Poor teddy bear!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Recent presidential elections in the US and in France...

    You know, I think bears love rolling in the mud... It quells lice and other assorted vermin. : j You can't tell from the picture but that teddy bear is blissfully zoning out.

    ReplyDelete