April 25, 2010

No Hope

I was alone in my room that fateful night
Trying to sleep with all my might
Lost was I in a sea of darkness, for only ship I had a bed
Suffering a tempest of disillusion, lost love, and anger in my head
I then realized ’twas no bed, but the mighty Argos instead
And in the elements die I might, was it such an awful plight
Suddenly overboard I flew, and while I fell, waiting to die I knew
There was hope for I had only fallen out of bed.
1991





Picture by SJKnight413 on flickr. 

6 comments:

  1. Terrific poem here, Alesa. It's full of all the pathos and grandeur of the poems of yore, until the last line, when we can laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Elisabeth! Wow, is it full of all of that? Neat!
    I guess it was funnier in my head: in my mind the whole piece is done by a horribly overacting ham stage actor who changes into a young Groucho Marx for the punch line... Or better yet who gets interrupted by a young Groucho Marx who delivers the punchline.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like this on many occasions. This was almost as if you described my own dreams.;))
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. You must have very dramatic dreams... sounds like fun! Can I come visit? I'll bring cake. : j

    ReplyDelete