April 22, 2010

A story begun as a child

 I'm always tempted to state the few truths that are mine as universal. Open windows and high places have always tempted  me with their promises of flight, freedom and deliverance. At first glance these two things might seem unrelated, but in the run of my life these two things have not only been recurrent but have culminated to make me what I am today : a teacher. I should perhaps, for clarity's sake, begin at the beginning so that you, my unfortunate listener, may perhaps attempt to make some sort of sense or achieve some form of understanding of the ridiculous circumstances that qualify my somewhat circumstantial existence.

What feels like a little over thirty years ago a diminutive frog of pink flesh was born unto the world, that shriveled little bag of skin, bone, and flesh was I. I was delivered into the arms of that admirable woman, whom I later identified as my mother, and she simultaneously laughed and cried being uncertain whether the seemingly amphibian creature presented to her was a cruel joke or not. She then spoke to me exhaustively in her garbled tongue of Russian, Chinese and English that, in normal conditions, is incomprehensible to all but a handful of her closest friends and her husband, and barely those. Allow me to reassure you that her linguistic peculiarities were not the fruit of her exotic mental illnesses but the result of her upbringing and life choices. Her father, very early in her life, changed his profession from that of Russian sailor to that of a noxious drunkard. He spoke something vaguely resembling Russian that was both heavily accented with his Turkish childhood and more than slightly slurred by hard liquor. Her mother was from a Taiwanese family of refugees in Kowloon, the ghetto of Hong Kong that has since been bulldozered and conveniently sanitized with antiseptic skyscrapers. Thus her curious manner of speech came into being from her parents simultaneously addressing her in all their tongues starting when she was just a newborn babe. This was such a traumatizing experience for the baby that as such she never learned to speak "baby talk", such a traumatizing experience that as a growing girl she spoke no word aloud until she reached the age of fifteen whereupon she was promptly told to be quiet. Rumor has it that the family saying originated in those bygone years: "'Tis better to be dumb than to speak oddly and be mistaken for an insane person". The subtlety of this expression has always amazed me, that and the fact that my family should have the opportunity to keep using it- but I daresay I've never understood the full tenor of its meaning, it must surely too subtle for the likes of me. My father once explained it to me, I dimly recall it had something to do with an American song called "Yankee doodle dandy".

Of course, most of this isn't from memory, most of the information concerning my early beginnings in life are hearsay, and as such are subject to doubt...

21 comments:

  1. I know someone who would fly over her town as a child. She swears the memory is as real as her memories of eating cereal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still do... and I am not talking about eating cereal.
    Hello Neat zine, thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an incredibly colourful heritage. May I ask what language did you actually speak to your mom in?
    This is interesting for me, as I grew up speaking dual language; one with my mom and one with my dad. Likewise, my nice and nephew speak two languages and I have been often wondering, if I had any children, what language I would speak with them;)
    xo

    PS: Just a reply to your recent inquire; no tripod was used in my photography. I just used the garden furniture in the bottom of the shot to guide me.;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erm... Like most of everything I write, this post is 90% fiction. I guess I didn't do too bad a job if you found it that believable. Or then again maybe not, since you had to qualify it as "incredibly" colorful. :j
    That said, you have had a rather colourful cultural life yourself. I've read your bio in your profile and it sounds like an adventure.
    _

    I too grew up speaking two languages, one for each parent, until the age of five when we left my country of birth (my father's homeland) to move to the USA. My first reaction was to refuse to learn English until I accidentally discovered television and then I just absorbed the language through cartoons (yes, you can tell by the way I write, I know). But in learning English I promptly forgot my father's tongue which I never used (he worked 15 to 17h days). Meanwhile, my mother still spoke to me in her own tongue, which I still speak fluently. Five years later, my family moved to my mother's homeland, and I have been there/here since.

    Because of my background, interests, and job I meet a lot of intercultural parents; from what I've observed, there two main deciding factors as to what they decide to teach their kids: practical concerns and emotional ones.
    English speakers abroad for instance, tend to teach their kids English because it is such a useful tool in life.
    I have some South African friends, and they're teaching their child English instead of Afrikaans for practical purposes... One of my co-workers, also South African, has taught her two daughters Afrikaans because "it would break my mother's heart if she had to speak to her grand-daughters in English". Kids really do pick up languages naturally provided they get to use them.
    -
    Thanks for indulging my curiosity about the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Open windows and high places have always tempted me with their promises of flight, freedom and deliverance." :]

    I'm jealous of your up bringing. I've always wanted to learn Russian.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aloha Soleil! Hmm... Russian has always been kinda low on my list of languages I'd like to learn. What attracts you to it?
    -
    *Just out of taste I'd go for Gaelic because of its sound and history in lyric art... I imagine, perhaps wrongly, that it would be an excellent language to write/read poetry in.
    *If I went with practicality, I'd go with Japanese... Because I still have some remnants of it.
    *While I think learning a click tongue would be a fascinating experience, there wouldn't be enough people around to use it with, unless I radically changed my lifestyle and moved to the bush. ; j

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed this story. Thought it real. Yes, gullible me. But I've got your number now. Not going to fall for that again. But are you...a teacher? Thus I know why you correct me :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nope. Not a teacher though I have taught in the past (not academics). I do work with text and words all day, none of them as interesting as yours... And correcting text is a part of my job.
    I wasn't aware that I correct you, sounds naggy... If it is, I do apologize.
    I try to only comment when I think my comments can help the poster (like with typos for instance), or myself when I don't understand. As a rule I never make comments I wouldn't want to hear directed at myself.

    Haha... By the way, we just watched footloose, I came away having said every ten minutes, oh look it's him or her from this or that. I think it needs to be viewed in context to be fully appreciated... To us it seemed very "white" (white bread?) and all-American (yes I noticed the social critique going on, but all-American none the less). But overall, it was entertaining and I see why the glee from carrun would evoke the physical abandon that can be found in dancing, as Kevin Bacon (or his double?) expressed it in the movie; especially in the scene in which he is working out his frustration by dancing alone in the train hangar.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love, love, love this story. You know what I want? I want one day to hold a book of your fiction in my hands.

    P.S. I think your mind works faster than your fingers and you've left out the odd word, though I can't remember where or what exactly, sorry. A quick reread will reveal all to you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Eryl! I caught one missing word, two minor cases of missing stylistic punctuation, a same word using UK and US spelling at different points in the text, and two double spaces! Sigh, last minute pre-posting edits improve the overall text but add typos galore.

    As for a book of my fiction... Sorry, I don't think that's going to happen. This blog may be as close as you're going to get.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Then I will be saving your blogs as a pdf file and transfering them to my Kindle to be enjoyed over and over. I really wanted it to be a true story, I will just pretend I didn't read the comment where you admitted the fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, I guess you like my writing. Glad to hear it. It's nice to know that some people enjoy it.

    I wonder why it makes a difference... Whether it is real or not. I don't think it does for me when reading a bio.
    That said, reality was pretty interesting too! I have one piece where I switched the reality to fiction ration. I'll post it sometime.
    Maybe in several parts, as it is (compared to my usual snapshots) kinda long.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi there. I figure since everybody wants a book, you should run with this one. The beginning is intriguing, enough to leave one wondering what the teacher is a teacher of, how amphibian is our main character (hmm, or was that just code for how newborns look, freshly burst from their water bubble?), and whatever happened to the crazy family anyhow?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Khnoum. Nice pots you have there! Thanks for visiting.

    Hmm... At the moment blogging is taking up as much time as I want to dedicate to writing outside of work: there are a lot of other things to do that are more fun and less hard work!
    I'll lazily leave the rest in the reader's hands.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What an exciting ride through your mind.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Is it? Hey how did you get in there!
    Oh well, I'm sure you're tall enough to go on this ride. Don't forget to to try the white chocolate rice crispy balls on the way out!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've always had a fascination with Russian culture, I'm not really sure why.

    I think Gaelic would be a VERY interesting language to learn. Mostly because I'd like to get more in touch with my heritage, but I don't know exactly what practical use I would have for it. Then again, you never know!

    ReplyDelete
  18. When I sub, I always feel for the new kids from other countries who can't yet communicate. Often these little ones are only here for a year. So just as they become confident, they're whisked back home only to forget all they've learned.

    ReplyDelete
  19. But then you have some like me where the language sticks. : j And they make use of it in their professional occupations.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Multiple languages play a big part in a many of your stories. I can see their influence on you. Do you know who painted the picture, by the way?

    "...make some sort of sense or achieve some form of understanding of the ridiculous circumstances that qualify my somewhat circumstantial existence."

    I meant to mention last time how much I like this sentence.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey you've caught up with what you've already read!

    I suppose they do, it's a large part of who I am and most of my close friends are at least bilingual too. It makes for games of scrabble and painful puns. : j

    I don't know who painted the picture, it's from an advertisement for vodka.

    ReplyDelete