April 29, 2010

Tasalagi Tale (2/9)

    I invited him over to my house to get cleaned up. My mother was great with this kind of thing and never fussed at the sight of blood and bruises the way some moms do. Besides, with my being a halfie, she had gotten a fair amount of prior experience (not always easy being different, especially in the south). She took to Billy quickly, I think it was his honest way of looking people in the eye when he spoke, or perhaps because of her taste for Native American art and literature, or then again maybe it was the ears. She patched us up neat and quick, then looked us over and grinned. Billy was wearing a pair of Keds (a brand of canvas sneakers), jeans, a sky blue shirt and a red baseball cap. He almost looked Hispanic with his dark eyes and very dark skin. He had a straight nose with freckles in the middle of a long horsy -yet somehow distinguished- face, framed with short cut brown hair except in the back were it grew to his shoulders. His ears stuck out and this was accentuated by his cap which was just a little too big for him and would ride on them (I later learned it was his brother's). It was as if he hadn't grown into either his ears or his cap yet. "A regular come-to-life Native American Norman Rockwell painting." my mother said. We didn't get the joke at the time but laughed anyway: we were in very high spirits. I on the other hand had a round smiling face, very pale skin with rosy cheeks, clear slightly slanted hazel eyes and jet-black Asian hair. I was a cute kid, almost pretty though I didn't know it then or even care to know. As I mentioned earlier, Billy and I made a funny pair.

    So after we had both gotten cleaned up and had demolished the chocolate chip cookies and milk my mom had set out for us, she offered to drive Billy home. For the first time since I had met Billy he showed signs of being uneasy. He thanked her and said it was okay, that he would take the bus. But my mother wouldn't hear of it and eventually Billy admitted to living on the reservation. I think he was worried about how my mother would react to this fact. Of course, he didn't know my mother yet at that point: not only was she undeterred but she knew exactly where on the reservation his address was too. I'm sure not a single one of our neighbors would have known... they were too busy with PTA meetings, Cub Scout jamborees, and church picnics and what have you to know or care about Indian reservations, but not my mom. I was exceptionally proud to be her child that day.










Picture from linnyscookies.com

They look good,don't they?
P.S. There's a poll on the top left side of the blog, thank you for voting!

11 comments:

  1. ok my little ball of knowledge... I've just been told on my Pav post comments that NZ has the highest marijuana usage, and the US is third. I thought US was 1st, NZ second and Spain 3rd. Would be interested in your opinion, thanks. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no opinion: this is totally outside my field of knowledge.
    However, a quick (not so quick) bit of research gives me highly variable information from one source to another.

    That said, most respectable news agencies seem to refer to the UN World Drug Report, here's a link to the latest issue:
    http://www.unodc.org/documents/wdr/WDR_2009/WDR2009_eng_web.pdf

    Now, guessing that what was referred to in TM's comment was prevalence on a national scale, the chart starting at page 251 shows the following percentage of pop from 15 to 64 YO:
    Ghana(21.5), Zambia (17.7), Canada (17), Nigeria (13.8), NZ (13.3)

    I suspect person who made that statement didn't find the most current data... Or might have based that statement from the following link

    http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/lif_can_use-lifestyle-cannabis-use

    which is based (so it says) on stats from OECD (not exactly an impartial third party at any rate), you'll note Africa isn't listed (probably because even the data does comes fro OECD, it will only involve OECD countries, IE rich ones. Not exactly a good source for making world encompassing statements)... I couldn't find the specific document they sourced their data on in the OECD site.
    Or potentially from a news article, which are notorious for being geocentrically biased in the way they spin news.

    All worth considering: the thing with stats is that you can find the right one, or the right way of expressing any stat so that it says whatever you want it to say.

    And that's all I can say about that. Not sure what you were expecting from me. : j
    All I can say is that google is your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What come to mind after reading this is whether you and Billy are still in touch today.;) I am very intrigued by the Native Americans and I would have loved a friend like that.;))
    My first ever exposure to their culture came in a very strange but beautiful form; I read over and over again a the entire collection of Winnetou written by the German author Karl May. I was ten and I was hooked.;)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow thanks, this is totally what I expected from you :o) Very interesting. You explain things beautifully. And thanks for taking the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Zuzana: Ha! Interesting random coincidence, my significant other just finished reading through the Winnetou series!
    Although it's not a fun read, if you're interested in the subject and haven't already read it there's Dee Brown's "Bury my heart at wounded knee"...
    Or, much more fun and easy to read: Tony Hillerman's awesome "Navajo Tribal Police" mystery books.
    Oh hey, Zuzana... Do you want us to point it out when you have typos in your posts? Your latest post (the one about your glasses has a few tiny typos at towards the beginning). For the record, if you don't mind: please point out the typos you're bound to find in any of my posts. Every little improvement counts, you know?

    @Niki: Beautifully? Clearly not: I should have reread that comment better before putting it up as there are a ton of typos! I needed to scarper off to work. Sorry. : þ
    Can't help but wonder what you based your expectations on.
    Anyways, you're quite welcome. : j

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the part about how your mother never had any reservations about your friend.
    And yes, those cookies do look good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm loving this story. It's like reading a serialized novel - the kind they used to put in the newspaper. Yes, I am really old.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heheheh! Khnoum! You funny punny lady!

    Heya Kass! Glad you're enjoying it! That's the idea... serialized stories. Though I can't claim to same level of skill as the greats who used this format, I can at least borrow it for a few days. In fact, it's time for the next installment!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for your book recommendation.;) As for the typos, sure thing! Sometimes my Irishman points them out to me, but most likely my posts are full of terrible mistakes.;) Now I will go and see if I can find the one you mention in the end of my last post.;))
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I only noticed 2 (typos) in the story, second paragraph: "For first time since I had met..." (missing "the"), and "she knew exactly were..." (missing h), but that's probably just because I feel guilty about not working (proofreading...).

    Good story - keen to see the rest. (Oh hey, the rest is already there!!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Typos corrected! Thanks S.! Your corrections are much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete