June 15, 2010

Character interview blogfest

Somewhere in blogland, the seven o'clock news has run through all of the important stuff and is preparing to wind down with the obligatory human-interest story.

Onscreen, you see a mustached man with a carefully styled and spray-frozen hairdo. He is sporting a loud aubergine nylon suit with as much ease as his affected smile, trademarks of the veteran anchorman.

Ron Burgundy: "...And now lets go to our foreign correspondent, Asian reporter, Tricia Takanawa, who is in Atlanta with very special report.”

A beautiful, fair-skinned, dark haired, and clearly non-Asian young woman holding a mike appears on screen.

Ron: “Tricia, what happened? You aren’t Asian anymore!"

Ezo: "Ezo C. Mortucan here. Unfortunately Tricia Takanawa was detained in the traffic caused by madwoman getting hit as she chased a publisher across the-"

Ron’s voice, speaking loud enough to cover Ezo’s voice completely: "What happened to Tricia? Her hair looks dark and delicious, like curly delicious black chocolate I would eat with relish. What’s that you say? My name is not Mike! I am Ron! What are you-”

Someone turns Ron’s mike off.

An efficient woman’s voice: “Co-anchor Veronica Corningstone here, I’m sorry Ezo, could you repeat that, we had trouble hearing you because of technical difficulties.”

Ezo: “As I was saying, I’m here at the Philips Arena in Atlanta Georgia with a trio simply known as “the neopenguins”. The neopenguins are starring in a highly successful theatre piece called “Special Delivery For Kass” and have been kind enough to take some time off from their busy rehearsing schedule to answer some of our questions.”

The camera pans off of Ezo and onto three empty seats.

Ezo, too much of a professional to be flustered: “The Neopenguins appear to be eating gum off of the bottom of the chairs…", holding out a packet of triple fresh peppermint gum, " If you’d like to come up and answer some questions, I’ll give you some of this new gum.”

One purple mohawk followed by a pair of mirrored ray-bans appears over the backrest of one of the chairs. The neopenguin spies Ezo’s gum in her outstretched hand, and leaps over the chair in an effort to get to it first as its companions come bursting from beneath the other two chairs. The chairs go flying in a flurry of penguins hastily scrambling to get gum. Though there are only three of them, the scrabbling penguins look like a frantically writhing wave of wings and webbed feet charging toward Ezo who, with trained reflexes of an experienced field reporter, quickly tosses the packet of gum into the air and steps away. The penguins promptly start a three-way wrestling match, complete with impressions of the three stooges.

The camera stays on the penguins.

Ezo’s voice off screen over the sounds of scuffling penguins: “Regular penguins are flightless birds that live in the southern hemisphere… But no one seems to know where the neo penguins came from; their origins are shrouded in mystery. As you can see by the way they are pulling on each other’s Mohawks, they seem real. We have first hand witnesses who report having seen them fly. They seem to be perfectly cognizant of human speech and have demonstrated high levels of intelligence and yet, they often seem to act in… Unpredictable ways. So what is the truth behind this mysterious trio? I suspect we aren’t going to find out by asking them, because speech is not one of their many skills. I for one place little stock in the theory stating that they come from outer-space and that their purpose in life is to battle moon bears and the intergalactic wizard alliance. But who knows? This was Ezo Mortucan reporting for Blogland news, back to you Ron.”

Ron: “There you have it folks, that was non-Asian Tricia Takanawa reporting about something that concerns us all.”

Veronica: “Indeed… And that concludes tonight’s 7o’clock news. For the entire Channel 4 news team, I'm Veronica Corningstone.

Ron: “You stay classy, blogland. This is Ron Burgundy?”
-
Scenes shifts to the dark control room. Veronica and Ron can be seen through the pane of sound proof glass smiling insults at one another as the credits roll.
 
Chief editor: "Dammit. Who typed a question mark on the Teleprompter?"
-
This blogfest was brought to you by Sangu, from "Echoes of a wayward mind".

22 comments:

  1. Hahaha this was hilarious, Alesa, and such a creative take on the interview idea! I think I burst out laughing (kind of loudly) with "Tricia! What happened? Why aren't you Asian anymore?" - brilliant, brilliant line!

    Thanks for joining in, hope you enjoyed writing this as much as I did reading it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww,! I liked this--it was so cute and very well written! I could actually see the chaos of diving penguins for gum!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE PENGUINS!!!! Literally my favorite animal. And this was just hilarious. I love the newsroom idea. :) Great entry!

    <3 Kelsey Leigh

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahaha! New-Penguins sound like a lot of fun! I loved that they were eating gum from the underside of the chairs. Your news anchors were great too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hehehe very good love the penguins, too! Great setup for the interview, thanx for sharing this with us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Craziest interview I've ever heard. Aubergine nylon tracksuit? You already had my interest at that. And then the description of the reporter's yummy hair....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now that was a really intriguing twist!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's always such fun over here, I really must come over more often!

    I'm wondering, now too, if I can make a wig out of chocolate curls.

    ReplyDelete
  9. neo penguins with purple mohawks. LOL. I like it and it's great that they like gum. funny.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was very funny; where do you come up with ideas like that? Humoristic writing is extremely difficult, but you pulled it off.;) Neopenguins is a great name actually.;))
    Have a great day Alesa,
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow lots of new faces! Hajimemashte, all you newcomers. And welcome back all you regulars.
    ---
    Greetings Sangu. Glad you enjoyed it. Humor is quite bizarre to write... It's a complicated facet of human behavior. And feels, to me, as if it's always a coin toss wether people will like it or not.
    It was hard getting this written: I was fighting off a bad cold (all better now, thank you), working intensively, and entertaining a houseguest. Shrug. But it seems as if it came out well enough to entertain, so I'm glad.

    Besides, this was your first time hosting a blogfest, I could do no less than take part. : j
    ---
    Aloha Elizabeth. Glad you enjoyed the piece and thanks for your kind words. It's nice to know that the visuals come through. : j
    ---
    Nihaome Kris or is it Kelsey?
    Wow, it's a good thing you love penguins. Even if they wear punk hair and ray-bans. I lucked out writing this then. : j

    When I first read that your hearted Kelsey Leigh, I was wondering what you meant and googled the name (got the marvel super heroin). Then moseyed on over to your blog. So now I'm wondering if your hearting your partner in writing (that you haven't killed yet) as a systematic show of love, or if you are signing off hearting people then adding your name... Mysterious. ;j
    ---
    Hejsa Amalia. Yeah, the neo-penguins are fun. Instant comic relief. ; j They'll eat anything. I wouldn't be surprised that if you gave them enough time and nothing else, they'd happily settle down to eating the upholstery of the chairs. Part penguins, part locust. ;j
    I'm afraid I can't claim credit for the anchors, they're characters from a movie... for more info about the movie, I linked Ron burgundy in the text to the IMDB file about it it.
    ---
    Goeie dag, Tessa. Heheh. It felt kind of intuitive to me... Interview? News report. : p It was the obvious thing. Thanks for reading.
    ---
    Kia ora Theresa! Things tend to get crazy when you're dealing with loose cannons like the trio. Ron didn't help. Btw, he wan't wearing a track suit, but a suit. Yeah the delicious hair... I was pleased with that line. It sounds really in character and totally off the wall. Will Ferrel did a great job creating Ron.
    ---
    Salute, Alex. Intriguing twist? On the theme? In the narrative? In Ezo's hair? In my personality? What an intriguing statement! ; j Whichever it may be, thanks for reading.
    ---
    Talofa Eryl. Fun, yes! That's a wonderful compliment. That's precisely what I want this blog to be. Like the comics section of the newspaper. A bit of quickly read light fun, that can later be used to wrap dishes in when one moves. Erm.. Maybe not that last bit. : j

    Hmm... I think you wind up in a sticky situation were you to try to make a wig of chocolate curls. But choc curls make for an excellent cake topping, they can be used to balance the sweet taste if you're using high % choc.
    ---
    Dzien Dobry, RaShelle. They like gum, but they prefer fast food, or slow food... I guess they aren't picky eaters, just obsessive and single minded eaters. Glad you enjoyed the piece! Thanks for reading.
    ---
    Chào bà, Zuzana. Heheh... Well, in this case Tricia comes from an American cartoon called Family guy; Ron and Veronica come from a movie called Anchorman; the situation was dictated by Sangu; and the penguins are recurring characters of mine. I guess over all I didn't actually create that much here...
    Still, I think it all meshed fairly seamlessly.
    Glad you enjoyed it! : 7

    ReplyDelete
  12. Humor...what's that? Do I have any, or have you stollen it all, my Polyanna. No matter. I cracked a smile...perhaps it's catching, the humor thing. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Annie, Annie, Annie... I don't steal irreplaceable things from friends! I've not stolen your humor, besides you have humors aplenty, the best of which you may have temporarily put in storage. Check your cookie jar!
    Humor is not catching; it's like a sunbeam or an amazing cake, best shared. : j

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ha! LOL! That was SO funny! :D (I popped over here from Zoe's blog and it was WELL worth it!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Laura, nice to see you here.
    Heheh...
    ::Bows theatrically::
    Glad you enjoyed the show. :j

    ReplyDelete
  16. Once again, I had the whole thing running in my head like an MTV music video. It's so visual and fast. Have you ever done any film work? Great, creative fun!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Heya Kass, nice to see you! : j
    Ouch MTV? Can't I at least be VH1? Heheh.
    Nope, I've never shot film... But my new camera does take video! Which reminds me I need to finish the buck rogers story!
    I have done a number of interviews for work. Maybe that's what gives you that impression?

    Glad you liked it.. Especially since the penguins were brought from the depths of my past into this blog by your doing. ; j

    ReplyDelete
  18. Alesa, sorry. Once my eyes read the color, they pictured a track suit. A suit is even funnier.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lol, noonono! Don't apologize! I love the way words can bring up different images. Sure, I was counting on it happening in this specific case. But it is completely trivial. : j
    Did you invoke a track suit because secretly (or maybe not so secretly?) you wish you had a aubergine tracksuit? ; j

    ReplyDelete
  20. I wish I had an aubergine tracksuit. Funny post xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Alesa my dear, I thought I'd throw a challenge at you! I've tagged you on my blog! (heehee)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Salut Lulu! I'm sure that could be arranged. ; j Thanks for the kind words.
    ---
    O hai Sangu! A chat-lenge? Miaou...
    I'll sharpen my claws then. ; j
    Just kidding. In fact I've just answered your post. Sorry my answer wasn't much fun. I like to be able to run/skate whenever I want, so I don't carry much around.

    ReplyDelete