June 9, 2010

Last hurrah for chivalry

The first thing that had struck me about the guy was the fact that he was wearing a brand new designer neon green tux without any shoes. For some reason the lack of shoes was what struck me the most at the time, not the fact that this filthy looking fellow was walking about in a rather ridiculously colorful and expensive looking tux in the middle of a park at 10 am. But then of course the fellow spoke and all questions as to what was the most unusual abut him vanished, it was most definitely his lack of shoes. Living in the streets had accustomed me to hearing the most unusual things, but even the crazies usually wore shoes except for those wearing saffron bathrobes offering free vegetarian dinners.

The man acknowledged my presence by saying the following words:
“Half an apple is not an apple. Although people may be fruity, they aren't fruit (though some are vegetables). They can get rid of a rotten half and become whole. This is only if two halves do maketh a whole and if a whole minus a half equals a whole and not half a hole or whole hole. Who would want such a hole? Whole where? Can you dig it?”

He concluded with a solemn nod as he sat on the bench opposite to me. I answered with a brief smile, a curt nod, and a “Hello.” as I set my case in front of me and started tuning my acoustic guitar. I then noticed he was sitting cross legged with the palms of his feet facing the sky, a quaint picture indeed, but at the time I didn’t give it much thought… I had to get to work so as to be able to eat lunch: my stomach was already demanding sustenance.

So I started playing… one of my own melodies as usual. I had yet to put words on this one, but the man sang to the tune in a strange voice, not unpleasantly, but with something in his tone that was soft yet carried far, just beneath cognition of the ear and to that of the mind, and he was singing the song as if it was his story, making the words his own… His singing was fine by me and people were coming. The bottom of my case filled with coins, drawn it seemed by his singing. The only thing was that as he sung he stared at me unnervingly as if the song were nothing more than his personal soliloquy to me. I didn’t realize that he was making up the lyrics as I played up until he started his third couplet. I was so surprised I nearly stopped playing but curiosity made me play the tune to it’s end, I wanted to hear the end of what the fellow was telling me…
He was saying goodbye.

 








Willie Nelson's Guitar "Trigger" found online

12 comments:

  1. The first words the men spoke made as little sense to me as some of the calculus problems I used to have to solve. I'm glad those days are over!

    I like the idea of strangers from two worlds coming together and making music together.

    Lovely story. As read along, it kept surprising me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Theresa.
    Hmm, I'm not sure I like it... I think it needs a major rewrite and a better punchline. But I think that, if it works at all, it's because of the way it is slightly off beat... I'm pleased with that and by the fact it seems to have entertained you. Thanks. : j

    I expect calculus problems can potentially make more sense. Green suit's spiel starts by making sense but just peters out into primal playing with words by the end of it.

    Oh yeah, and by the way, I wouldn't recommend seeing Paris through my eyes, it would come as a bland disappointment to you. You're much better off keeping your delightful view of it.

    Now then: knowing that train A goes 55Mph and that train B goes 160Km/h, which country serves the best breakfast? ; j

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this little story very much. I wonder how deep the good-bye was...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was so deliciously melancholic...
    In a candid way this reminds me of the Irish movie called "Once".
    Have a great day,
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read the whole excerpt and was hooked from the beginning. I think that his apple monologue could have a deeper meaning and sometimes...well, its nice to have a little crazy in your day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm, well Kass, I suspect it's only up to the knees.. Garfield style. ; j
    ---
    Heya Zuzana. Melancholic? Really? That's a interesting reaction... I wonder what sparked that in you. Or is it simply because the man is saying goodbye?
    Once, isn't that the movie about the creation of Swell season? With Glen Hansard? -(googling)- Yeah it is! I heard about the movie and have been meaning to look it up ever since I got got hooked on their music. I can see why this would remind you of that. : j
    ---
    Heya Katie! (You don't mind if I call you Katie do you? It's shorter than CQG and you seem more nice than creepy, so CQG feels like a misnomer, unless you're only creepy towards agents in which case I'm completely safe.;)

    It's not an excerpt, that's all there is and most likely all there ever will be. : j

    I agree, when I wrote I meant for it to start out being deep and meaningful, if obscure, but then it got overblown and melodramatic, so I made him ramble out into nonsense.

    And I agree with you entirely, it is good to have a bit of crazy in your day, in your life... But to quote Melvin Udall: "Sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here." ; j

    ReplyDelete
  7. Zuzana's comment is spot on, this really did remind me of 'Once'. Love that movie, so the poignant and romantic strains in this really came across for me! Love the apple imagery!

    That Melvin Udall quote is brilliant :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heya Sangu! Wow, ok two voices for, i guess I have to find that movie and watch it. : j

    Yeah I like that quote, it's pretty easy to place. Provided that you are willing to admit that you're stocked up on crazy. : j

    Say, Sangu, what's your favourite flower?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Alesa, I'm partial to savory, so I'll say Ireland. But I think my husband and children would disagree.

    Wouldn't you know it, I'm subbing high school Math for THREE days!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooo, brief bleep in internet success!

    Hmm. I love lilies. And the more traditional roses too :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have you ever had a Japanese breakfast?

    I'm with you on the savory. I could have a french breakfast as my breakfast's dessert. ; j

    French breakfasts, generally speaking, are far from being my favorite (though there are exceptions). It's just a shot of fat and sugar, and caffeine for those who drink coffee (not me). I like to eat hearty in the morning. The German have satisfactory breakfasts. Favorite world breakfasts in no order: Home, Mexico, Japan, Germany.

    Math strikes again. On the bright side, though... At least you ARE working.

    Hey, you just inspired my next post for part gilt part gold. :j

    ReplyDelete
  12. Heya Sangu!
    Lillies eh? I see... Noted, thanks.

    ReplyDelete