May 13, 2010

Internal conflict blogfest

An awakening... My own... I can’t see anything. The darkness is almost tangible. The darkness IS tangible! I can feel it weighing on my entire body like a disgusting shroud, draping my being with a weighty wave of mounting fear. The fear jolts me into movement and I try to sit up, but fail as my head painfully strikes a ceiling that is inexplicably just inches away from my face. I reach out and a quick exploration of my surroundings reveals the awful truth: there are walls all around me, invisibly close to me in the darkness. Too close! I long for movement but those damnable walls restrict me. I can’t even bend my legs or turn over… A wave of panic crests and sweeps away the tattered pieces of my reason. I want to move! I’m going blind! I can’t breathe! I can’t breathe! I writhe frantically slamming myself against the walls as well as the cramped space allows me to. How long was I in the grip of this unreasoned madness? I cannot say…. Maybe minutes… Maybe days… I don’t know. But at present I have exhausted the madness… The panic is still there, hiding under my skin, waiting for I know not what. The heat of madness in my blood has turned to icy terror as I comprehend the meaning of the dull sounds I obtain as I strike at the walls and ceiling. It’s obvious and the only reason I didn’t realize it earlier was because it was too horrible to contemplate… I’ve been buried! I am buried alive!

Panic engulfs me once again and the walls of my coffin shriek hideously, an unending wail of horror coming at me from all sides… The primal sound in the blind darkness is mine. I drown in it, it wrings my soul, and throttles my being with deafening sound that is only made possible by the horror of the absolute silence slithering around me in this tiny space. I imagine it constricting in the darkness of my coffin. The air has become hard to breathe, as if it had been changed to poisoned water that would fill my lungs and silence me… This space in which I am confined wants to crush and devour me!

There is no escape!

THERE IS NO ESCAPE!

Soul wrenching terror crushes my reason once again: there is no escape! I have ripped and torn my nails clawing at the panel above me and now I strike at it with my fists… Again and again, I strike out, harder, always harder… Time has gone the way of reason. There is nothing but the blows against the obstacle above me and the terror that is consuming me. My blows sound muted and dull, unless I’m no longer battering the ceiling and that sound is the beating of my heart. I no longer know… A cracking sound? Was that the sound of my heart breaking at long last?

The desperate energy that fills me has deadened my senses. I feel no difference in the target of my blows. I only realize that I have broken trough my coffin when a light and volatile substance comes pouring through the hole, entering my eyes, mouth, and nose. The unbreathable air of the coffin disappears. I jam my damaged and broken fingers into the breach. I don’t feel the cruel shards as the shred my hands. This invasive powdery dirt feels vile against my skin as I grope upwards through it pushing past strange oblong stones. My being has become a white scream… My thoughts are ruled by the imperious visceral need to flee, go upwards, to climb, to continue my nameless ascension with no other objective than to escape myself, to escape the fear and the madness that inhabit me. Finally I reach the surface…

An awakening… My own… I can’t see anything.

I open my eyes to a bronze colored sky streaked with green and purple will-o’-the- wisps. I sit and look around seeing nothing but an endless ash colored wasteland as far I can see in all directions. I feel no wind on my face but surely there is a breeze, for I see ash clouds twirl and form into phantasmagoric shapes all around me…

Have I been forgotten in the grand scheme of things?
I know you can see me…
I know you can hear me!
I’m still here! I’M STILL HERE!
...
..
.
A small world within
An ash filled urn on a marble tablet
A locked and hopelessly rusted crypt door
Eternity.
_______________________________________________

Un éveil. Le mien. Je ne perçois rien. L'obscurité est presque tangible, elle est tangible je la ressens tandis qu'elle me recouvre comme un détestable linceul ayant les attributs d'une lourde couverture d'effroi. Je sursaute et mon front butte douloureusement contre une des parois inexplicables qui se trouve à quelques centimètres de mon visage. Je m'aperçois que les parois me cernent de toutes parts, de très prés, invisiblement trop prés dans l'obscurité. Je voudrais bouger, mais ces mêmes parois détestables m'en empêchent. Je ne peux peu même pas plier les jambes, ni me retourner... la panique m'emporte, je veux bouger, je deviens aveugle! Je ne sens plus mes membres! J'étouffe! J'étouffe! Je me débats, je me cogne contre les parois autant que ma mobilité réduite le permet. Longtemps ma frénésie dura, peut-être quelques minutes peut-être des jours, je ne sais plus... mais je suis épuisé maintenant. La panique est encore présente, mais elle est désormais tapie sous ma peau en attente de je ne sais quoi, en échange une froide terreur me coule dans les veines lorsque je réalise que tous les coups que je frappe aux parois rendent des sons pleins. L'évidence me frappe, je comprends... Je suis enterré! Enterré vivant!

La marrée de panique revient et un effroyable cri d'horreur jaillit de toute part autour de moi, un cri qui est mien dont le bruit m’enveloppe, m’enserre et m’étrangle dans un assourdissement que seul l’horreur du silence absolu serpentant autour de moi permet. J'imagine que le cercueil effectue, dans l'obscurité autour de moi, des mouvements de constriction. L’air devient irrespirable, comme mu en une eau assassine qui voudrait m’emplire les poumons en me noyant ! L’espace clos où je me vois réduit veut me broyer et me digérer !

Il n’y a pas d’issue !
Il n’y a pas d’issue !

La marée de panique monte, ma pensée raisonnée veut s’effacer devant elle : il n’y a pas d’issue ! Mes ongles se sont déchirés à griffer la surface de la paroi au-dessus de moi, alors je la frappe à nouveau de mes poings.. Encore et encore, je frappe, toujours plus fort… Le temps s’étant effacé avec la raison il n’y que les coups et la terreur qui me consume. Mes coups ont un son mat et assourdi, a moins que je ne frappes plus et que ce ne sont là que les battements de mon cœur, je ne sais plus… Un craquement ? Est-ce mon cœur qui cède enfin?
L’énergie désespérée qui me possède me rend insensible. Je ne sens pas la différence de texture de la matière que mes mains travaillent. Je ne réalise avoir percé mon cercueil que lorsque la terre légère et volatile m’aveugle et m’étouffe en s’introduisant par tout les orifices de mon visage. Elle pénètre mes poumons et l’air irrespirable de l’espace clos disparaît. J’enfonce mes doigts poisseux de sang dans la brèche. Je ne ressens pas les échardes qui s’enfoncent cruellement dans la chair de mes mains et qui lacère mes doigts. L’oppression que procure le poids de cette terre poudreuse pleine d’étranges pierres oblongues contre ma peau est innommable. Je me noie dans le silence d’un hurlement blanc. Mes pensées se coagulent autour du besoin impérieux de fuir, de monter, de grimper, de poursuivre l’ascension anonyme, sans but autre que de m’éloigner de moi même, de la peur et de la folie qui me guette. Enfin, j’atteins la surface.

Un éveil. Le mien. Je ne perçois rien.

J’ouvre les yeux et j’observe un ciel cuivré strié de feux follets verts et violets. IL n’y a autrou de moi qu’une vaste étendue de cendres à perte de vue. Je ne sens pas de vent sur mon visage, pourtant les nuages de cendres tourbillonnent en adoptants des formes fantasmagoriques...

Ai-je été oublié dans le bon déroulement de l’univers ?
Je sais que vous me voyez ...
Je sais que vous pouvez m’entendre !
Je suis là ! Je suis encore là !
...
..
.
Une urne pleine de cendre posée sur une tablette en marbre.
La porte complètement rouillée d’une crypte.
L’éternité.

10 comments:

  1. Wow. That was terrifying. I caught my breath because she couldn't catch hers.

    It would be great if you added the pain to her hand as she begins to pound so that's added to the terror and agony of her situation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GULP! I knew there was a reason to fear cremation! You have proved my fear justified. CREEPY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nous sommes revenus de Baltimore et nos pots étaient OK, pas retournés. Merci de ta visite sur mon blog. Est-ce que tu es française ou canadienne? Ton français est meilleur que le mien – bien sûr je ne le parle jamais car je ne connais aucun français ici, mais ton blog est en anglais... J’essaie de lire tous les posts de mes amis bloggeurs, ils m’en restent encore 354 à lire – quand je suis revenue j’en avais 895! Je reviendrai lire ton blog quand je peux le faire plus posément. J’ai lu ton dernier post qui pourrait bien me donner de mauvais rêves! Enterrée vivante – quel cauchemar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What next? What can be after eternity?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heya Theresa! Yeah I thought it might be fun to try to take part in the blogfest, but in the style of under the gables. I joined the party a bit late though.

    Good point, I played with it both ways as I wrote it... In the end I intentionally avoided mentioning physical pain... Whatever the narrator is, I don't think it has body that either bleeds, feels pain, or indeed breathes. The impression of suffocation was entirely psychosomatic. I suppose pain in the hands could be as well... But I don't like the idea as much. ; j
    ---
    @Annie: Well let's see... Creamtion versus burial.. Hmm. The character wakes up in a rotted zombie body, claws its way up to surface and finds a cemetery. Not sure that's much better. Or the surface has been completely nuked, nothing there but a radioactive desert. To give it that cold war kinda feel. : j
    ---
    Salut Vagabonde! Je ne m'attendais pas à te voir ici! J’ai la double nationalité Japonaise/Française : un parent de chaque pays. J’avais commencé par faire une VF de ce blog, mais j’ai laissé tomber puisque je n’avais pas de visiteurs. Je suis traducteur de métier et j’ai ma dose de trad pendant la journée, je ne ressentais pas le besoin d’en rajouter dans mon temps libre, surtout au vu de l’absence totale de lecteurs francophones. : j
    Ouaouh ! Quel courage de lire tout ça, j'admire ton dévouement! : j
    Désolé pour la mauvaise surprise,; j tu es tombée pile poil au mauvais moment : ces derniers temps, j’écris dans le style d’un auteur d’horreur fantastique décédé dont je préfère garder le nom secret pour voir si quelqu’un devine. Mais avant cela, j'écrivais surtout dans mon propre style qui est léger et gai.
    ---
    @Kass: Next? I think that's it. That's all she wrote and all that. : j

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poor thing, after all that effort to find herself there. I'm reading Sylvia Plath's journals at the moment and her internal conflict is similar at times.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooh, very nice! I love how you've used present tense to make it more immediate and to convey her fear better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So intense! I love the internal dialogue - it increases the feeling of panic. I couldn't stop reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm am delighted and amused that everyone assumed the main character was a she! Or did you all read Theresa's comment and roll from there? :D Or does the character come across as a she?
    ---
    Heya Eryl! Sylvia Plath has been on a lot of blogger's lips lately. Ok, to be precise three other friendly bloggers mentioned reading her over the last two weeks. I've been exploring her works... and I see what you mean. Huh, that's not a parallel I would ever have expected to hear. : j
    -
    Ola Sangu. Yeah it's refreshing to use the present tense after all that let-me-tell-you-my-tale/this-is-what-happened past tense stuff going on in under the gables. ; 7
    -
    Heya Talli. Surely you mean internal monologue? Not being able to stop reading is high on the list of best compliments you can give somebody who wrote something! Thanks. : j

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is scary! I was biting my nails the whole time. Well done!

    ReplyDelete