May 1, 2010

Tasalagi Tale (4/9)

    While the parents were having the previously described coffee (which my mother deemed miraculous), Billy and I were out and about on the reservation. It was mostly located in the northern corner of Georgia, but also overlapped into North Carolina and Tennessee. It lay on top of a low plateau at the foot of the Rocky 's so that on one side you could go up into the Smoky mountains and on the other you could look down on the peach state (a.k.a. Georgia). People on the reservation would joke about how that was one way of getting white people to look up to them. Rumor had it that on clear days, people with exceptional eyesight could see the sun glint off the golden dome of the capitol in Atlanta... Though I tried, I never did see it. Not that it mattered because the view was was stunning, and you could see the road wind down the plateau, off into the green lands and orchards towards the nearby small towns, and away into infinity.

  Of course, at the time, neither Billy nor I were much interested in beautiful vistas, but the mountains strongly appealed to our youthful adventurous spirits... well especially to mine. I eventually managed to subtly sledgehammer some of my enthusiasm into Billy. It took some doing because up until then he had been an all-American kid: drinking coke, playing little league, watching bad science fiction flicks at the movies, and collecting baseball cards. He hadn't taken much of an interest in his Cherokee history yet, nor in the great outdoors. I, on the other hand, had grown up with my mom's native-American bedtime stories, which had sparked my fascination for Cherokee legends, and Indian crafts in general. I had learned to work leather and to make bows and arrows before even learning to ride a bike. But I'm getting ahead of myself. Our parent's became good friends over that coffee, and it turned out that Billy and I went to the same school. We started to hang out together, to do sleepovers, and we gradually became best friends. We would usually stay at his place during the weekends so that we could go off to spend a night or two in the mountains.





Uncredited picture from the national Smoky mountain park website.
Yes, it really is that gorgeous.

7 comments:

  1. This is moving along nicely. I'm enjoying it. Great picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you ended there, you cruel woman, I was just getting warmed up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers Kass! Yeah, it's a beautiful place to begin with, and that is a great picture...

    Hahahaha! Sorry Eryl, but it's a serial... I got to give the reader a reason to come back or else I'll wind up finishing the story all by myself -and I already know that there isn't an ending and that the style changes drastically in the next two parts or so, and that aliens come and -oops! Almost gave it away.
    I suppose if you don't want to wait at the end of each part, you could just come back in six days. : j
    I seriously wondered at first if I should just dump the entire thing in one chunk, but my research shows that, on average, blog readers tend not to fully read big chunks of text... So I opted for delivering it piecemeal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember the Smokey Mountains. I would visit them often when I lived in NC.
    Have a great weekend,
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for popping by my blog - I'm gld I found you! It's my first time here and I really enjoyed reading the excerpt. Have a great weekeend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's right! I had forgotten you had lived in NC... You remember how autumn would inflame the hills with vibrant colors? The only place I've been to that compared was Hokkaido...

    I was about to ask what autumn was like where you live and then I realized it was a dumb question. I went back into your archives and checked it out. Looks like you have beautiful real autumns where you live! You're like the graphic chronicler for your surroundings. : j

    ReplyDelete
  7. Greetings Talli, and welcome!
    It was pleasure visiting your blog, one that I fully intend on renewing.
    Glad to hear that you're enjoying the serial.
    And I, in turn, bid you a wonderful weekend as well (and not just for the alliteration).

    ReplyDelete