May 7, 2010

Under the gables (1/10)

   There are pools of deep darkness on this earth. Places untouched by light since times immemorial. Perhaps I once mocked in disbelief those who spoke of what I called the fruit of disturbed fanciful minds. They who told of the darkness being inhabited by things, ancient things, things from another place for which we have no name. It is debated amidst the scientific community whether childhood fear of darkness is a natural instinct or a form of psycho-pathology requiring treatment. I now know the former to be true. The fear of darkness is a survival instinct, an atavism if you will, that has been handed down since cavemen first realized that there were depths to their caves that should, under no circumstances, ever be plumbed.

   You wonder how I know of what I speak? Against my better judgment, I will tell you my tale. Yet be warned, I have not slept at all in two weeks and you too may well lose your sleep if you insist hearing what I have discovered. You are decided? So be it. I feel that someone should know about it. Perhaps doubt what I have come to take for truth and then reassure me by proving my insanity. Regardless of my desires, I know I have not yet lost my mind…  and if I am loosing it now, it is only because of what I know.

   I am, or rather as I should say it, was at the time a reporter for a modest local newspaper in Marietta Georgia. I was doing research for an article about some gabled roof houses built on the banks of Blue ridge lake sometime in the nineteenth century. When I first reached the small town I was informed that there were no hotels but that I could rent a room in one of the very houses I had been sent to write about. I took this to be a stroke of luck, but in retrospect, I realize it was the first step on the road that has led me to question my understanding of the world that surrounds us.



17 comments:

  1. Yay, I was hoping you would start another one. I'm definately hooked. It's very exciting.

    Can I ask if you write for a living?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Al right, this will have my undivided attention.;) I love stuff like this.;))
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heya Niki!
    Sure you can, and no, I don't write fiction for a living.
    I'm a translator in a media agency, mostly I translate corporate stuff... But don't tell anyone: that fact is going to turn up disguised in one of my next text snapshots... I already have the negative, I just need to develop it.

    Glad you dig the format, I suspect it's putting some people off. And this time I can't even tell people to come back in X days because I'm making it up as I go. Writing by the seat of my pants here.

    Oh and check back later or tomorrow: I'll be putting up audio for this tonight! Still not sure it's a good idea, but I knew exactly who I wanted for the reading and things worked out, so I'll have someone to read these pieces!
    ---------------------
    Hello Zuzana. Undivided eh? : j Nice of you to say. I hope you'll enjoy this story as well as the previous. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. But you're so good, you should try and get something published. Arent you scared of someone stealing your ideas? That seems to be the concern going round that writers steal other writers stuff off their blogs.

    Anyway, I'm looking forward to the audio. I've heard people rave about audio books, but have never listened to one myself. So yours will be my first :o)))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ideas... I have in great over-abundance.

    It's been that way ever since I was naught more than a wee introvert skipping recess to climb up a drain pipe and hide out on the school roof daydreaming with or without a book.

    Since I'm not a professional, I don't have to worry about people stealing my ideas.
    It doesn't matter, I'm not losing anything valuable to me. Even if any my ideas were worth lifting, if "they" made something better out of it, it would a pleasure to behold; if not, it would be no skin off of my back.
    Sure I rather people came up with their own ideas, but overall, shrug.

    I put up fiction firstly and selfishly to entertain myself, and only secondly to entertain readers. I like being able to write how I want to without having to submit to publishing- (or even reader-)trends. Writing professionally is a serious business that I'll leave to serious writers (for now). I'm just happy telling stories.

    Ha! Audio book... I suspect this will be more like when you read to your young'uns.
    My significant other and I do that a lot. We pretty much always have a book started that we read to each other while the other cooks, or stretches, or sews, or pots or whatever. Complete with funny voices. Terry Pratchett is a regular favorite, but at the moment we're doing "the Neuromancer" (William Gibson), we tried 1001 nights but it's a bit too recursive to be much fun reading aloud. Anyways, I hope the audio lives up to your expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm hooked, too! Can't wait to read more. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to get more written for tomorrow's part as soon as I finish typing this reply.
    ---
    Thanks Gerry, now all I need is bait, and a line and I can go fishing!
    --
    A lovely weekend to you too Talli, cheers.
    -
    I'll give you more! ; j Thanks for reading Lydia.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh good. A serial to read while I eat my cereal.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hooked like Edgar Allen Poe hooked.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha Kass! Lovely to see you.
    Oh my! I guess I'll be careful not to miss an installment, now that I know you devour flakes I wouldn't want to flake out on you. Och, was that too corny? I can milk a pun til the cows come in.

    Heya Paul!
    The Edgar Allan Poe tribute was a couple weeks back. ;j
    This piece, this part in particular, is a tribute to another author I like. It should become more obvious as the story unfolds.
    Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Your view of the world alters, when you find yourself face to face with a darkness you thought could not find you." This I understand. This I lived. This is non-fiction for me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Annie. I suppose there are always parallels to be drawn between reality and fiction. I hope that, as the story develops, you'll find it harder to relate... Or maybe not. Keep your guard up Annie, who knows what strange things lie ahead!
    ---------
    Heheh! Thanks Kass! We did our worst.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Splendid! The recording is great too, love the voice whose ever it is.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aloha Eryl!
    Ha great, delighted you liked it! Yeah the voice worked out great didn't it! I was impressed. Reading like that isn't easy. I've done some voice-over for work so I have pretty good idea... : j

    ReplyDelete