May 8, 2010

Under the gables (2/10)

   Perhaps I am getting ahead of myself… Perhaps I should begin my tale from the beginning so that you can better judge for yourself the course of events that have brought me to my conclusions.

   The Marietta based rag I worked for didn’t really have the means to send journalists out; and before that day, I had never heard of their doing it. When I came in that morning, there was a note on my desk telling me to see Harley, the editor in chief, in his office immediately. Harley was a strange 43 year old man that nobody liked, possibly because of the obvious contempt in which he held everyone and everything or possibly because of the unsettling feeling one got from spending more than a few minutes in his company. As I walked into his office I immediately suspected something was up because he smiled as I came in.

“How would you like to go out and do special report?”
“Hello to you too! Maybe... what’s it about?” I asked guardedly.
“I doesn’t matter…” he said mildly, “…if you don’t go I’ll fire you.”
“I guess I’m going then, are you going to tell me where or do I have to guess?” I said struggling to be polite.
“You’re going to Chiwsip, my old home town in Fannin county. I was going to give you 100 bucks for bus, lodging, and food money, but since I don’t like you, here’s fifty. I want you to go there and write a piece about the gabled houses; the ones they built after they got rid of the redskins back in 1832. You got three days, if that report isn't on my desk by Thursday don't bother coming back. Now get out of here.”

   He slammed a fifty dollar bill on his desk and stared fixedly at me. I wasn’t entirely sure what kind of response he expected of me, so I shrugged, took the bill, and turned around to leave. As I made my way to the door, I could still feel he gaze boring into my back and just as I was about to close the door to his office, I’m pretty sure I heard him laugh unpleasantly and mutter “Have fun.”

   Although I wasn’t particularly pleased with the prospect of going out in the boonies for a couple days, my professional conscience would let me do no less than the task I had been assigned to do. I bought a roadmap at Walgreen’s and set out. I started by hitching a ride from Marietta to Ellijay in the back of a pickup truck delivering flowers. From Ellijay a newly wed couple heading for Blairsville Airport to start their honeymoon took me to Blue Ridge, the Fannin county seat.

   It was at this point I realized that Chiwsip wasn’t on my map. So I decided I should ask a local for directions, but I found most of the homes to have been boarded up, I knocked on the doors of those few that weren’t, but got no answer. I walked up West Main Street and found all the places of business to be closed with not a soul in sight. I then walked down East Main Street, yes this was really a two street town, and I spotted a strange white cylinder, as I approached it I realized it was a barber pole whose colors had faded and cracked beyond recognition.

   The pole stood in front of a decaying barber shop that I entered. After a cursory look around I found the barber sleeping under a yellowing newspaper that was at least as old I was. I politely coughed to try and wake the barber, and then tried saying “Excuse me?” more and more loudly, but the barber would not be roused. Finally I wondered if the man were alive so I lifted the news paper, maybe to see if there was a pulse, but the moment I touched the paper barber leapt up from his stool scattering yellowed pages of newspaper.

   It was as if some the man had been a freakish bald automaton that had suddenly been switched on. The man stood with his back to the wall and an expression of fear on his face as he frantically glanced left and right with rheumy bloodshot black-rimmed eyes. I realized he was very old, ancient even, with wrinkled parchment skin stretched tight on his skull… He made a strangely bird like figure as he stood there with his back to the wall, all prominent nose, bald head, gangly decrepit limbs, and frightened glances. He eventually took in that there was no one else there but me and he seemed to calm down somewhat. When I thought he had settled down enough I asked him for directions to Chiwsip, but he just shook his head as he pointed to his ears.

   He reached under a counter and grabbed a pair of bifocals which he promptly put on his nose and that magnified his eyes eerily. He then pulled a piece of slate and a bit of chalk from a drawer which he handed to me. “How do I get to Chiwsip??” I wrote. He vigorously shook his head as he read my question. I underlined my question a few times and added “I have to go there!” He shrugged and wrote in an arthritis shaken hand that wouldn't want near my head with a pair of scissors, “10 miles east, on dirt road leading out of town. Bad place! Don’t go there!” I put his reaction down to some form of senile dementia, shrugged it off, thanked him, and left. He stood at the shop window and stared at me as I walked away. Soon I was walking on the deserted dirt path he had pointed out, hoping that I’d find a motel or something before sunset.

"The old barber pole"
From Bleu Chocolate

19 comments:

  1. I'm creepy feelings about this ... take care

    ReplyDelete
  2. Creepy!
    Thanks Lulu, will do, you too. Have a lovely weekend.
    BTW, I just put up the audio for the first part of this story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't be going to Chiwsip, myself. Things don't sound too promising there.

    A great story so far, Alesa. How does it end?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I wouldn't go there either. And couldn't that jerk of a boss provide a map so you didn't have to take from your $50? I can't imagine there's going to be a decent hotel.

    I cant' wait for the next installment.

    By the way, great picture. That common symbol of town life and it's fractured.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It would be hard to trust a bald barber.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Does not sound like this is going to end well. Well done building up the air of suspense so far, it's great!

    And I love Kass's comment above mine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Elisabeth! I wouldn't want to go either, but then when I think of some of the trials I've been through working (especially in restaurant industry) I guess I have wound up gritting my teeth and getting the job done often enough.

    How does it end? Well, the main character (MC) winds up getting lost in the woods... Then stumbles on a unicorn that takes the MC for a ride and stops at the doorstep of young woman. They meet fall in love and have six kids and make a successful business venture of crossbreeding their unicorn with zebras creating Unibras. And everyone lives happily ever after. ; j
    ------------
    Heya Theresa! I guess that's how cheap Marley is, or maybe he knows something we don't?
    Yeah, I'm really pleased with it too (the picture). I guess it's in Texas somewhere. The odd thing is that the mountings were reflective and shiny (newish? well maintained?)! When I photoshopped the pic I fixed that and a couple of other things...
    I noticed in my last trip that there are still quite a few of those around in the US. Speaking of which, I'll be back in the US from the 21st! Just for a week and half... But still. Big grin! I travel seldom enough so that every trip is a delight.
    -------------
    Heheheh, Kass. Delightful as ever. It would be alright to trust him as long he's wearing the right coat (My name is nobody quote! Yay!). I'd trust a bald barber... To shave my legs. Heheh.
    -------------
    Aloha Sangu! It might?.... Heheheh. Sorry, I couldn't say that with a straight face. I love the craft of storytelling, you're never sure where it will go. Thanks for the praise!
    Yeah me too. Kass is great.: j

    ReplyDelete
  8. Weird comments on my posts today, Alesa. Are you in a strange mood?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heya Aubrie.
    Umm.. Not really? Maybe what lies ahead in this story is getting to me? ; j

    Sorry, if I weirded you out!

    I realize that that post was describing something you were doing for fun... and probably most people would find it interesting.

    But all I see is a very old and blatant mind game/con done to a someone that, admittedly I don't really know very well yet, seems to be lovely and interesting person.

    I guess that might have gotten my goat a little.
    I am not saying you were taken in by it, but regardless... the idea of somebody manipulating or trying to manipulate one of my friends brings out the mother wolf in me... I'm ready to bite heads off.

    And raven/raving: I'm a raving (raven) lunatic? Just punning around on that one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Why am I wishing it were me on the dirt road...knowing as we all do that this can only end badly? But I am lusting for an adventure...not so much to read, as to live. Perhaps I will sneak out my slider tonight and run with the moon, find a dark and sinister alley to sleuth. Hmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  11. All these hints about what lies ahead in the story... maddening, I tell you, absolutely maddening. Guess I'll have to wait till tomorrow to see what happens next. And for someone who tells me you aren't a writer, you do an awful lot of it, and very well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Annie. I'm with Bilbo as far as adventures go...
    What's a slider? I looked it up and came up with this "http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_X0CU9RhNuXc/SbA8VA7ovbI/AAAAAAAAAuU/AQcPrQLfNXo/s1600-h/hamburger+cupcakes+010.JPG". Somehow I don't think that's what you mean.
    I've had my fill of dark and sinister.
    I hope you get to have your adventure and come through unscathed.
    ----
    Heheh. Aloha Sangu... Maddening eh? I prescribe milk and cookies for that. : j
    Thanks for the kind words. I'm just a writing-dilettante, but I do claim to be a story aficionado though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Whoa, creepy is the right word for it. Love the hints about what's coming - can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  14. "Don't go there!" is always an ominous statement.;)
    Looking forward to a new installment.;)
    Is this btw fiction or fact?;)
    Have a lovely Mothers Day,
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Heya Talli. Glad you're enjoying the story. It's interesting though not entirely enjoyable to be writing under the gun. I think when I finish this, I'll go back to writing snapshots for a while. : j
    -
    Hejsa Zuzana.
    It is indeed, but one often used in vain.
    Heheh, though imagine if characters heeded warnings...

    Stranger: "Don't go there!"
    Main character: "Really? Huh... Ok. I guess I'll go home and eat chocolate cake."
    -the end. : j

    Everything I write tends to be a bit of both, but in this case it's mostly (;j) fiction.

    I've had the seed for it in one of my note files for a long time. It's when Zoe from (http://zoecourtman.blogspot.com) reminded me of it that I decided to dust it off and write it out.
    Glad you're having fun following the story.
    Have a lovely day and thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  16. If this was on TV I'd be peering through my fingers.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Haha! This would make dreadful TV! : j
    "Oh no! Look out! Theer's an old bald bloke snoring under a newspaper!"

    ReplyDelete
  18. Slider, as in sliding glass door :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oooh that makes much more sense than what I was imagining some kind of vehicle... Like an anti-gravity sled or something.

    ReplyDelete